The last few months have given us plenty of opportunities to break the mould and bake new and exciting things. There’s nothing better than a fresh strawberry in the summer months (we’ll have sugar with ours, thanks), so we wanted to try our hand at a strawberry recipe… with a twist. We couldn’t think of anyone better to ask than food blogger @Nourishing.Amy, and she really has whipped up a treat for us.
This summery dessert or afternoon tea recipe is one for all the family and you don’t even need to switch the oven on. They are naturally vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar free. Enjoy!
Makes: 4/5 x 4-inch tarts (serves 4)
Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours chilling
(For the tart crust)
120g pitted dates
40g ground almonds
60g desiccated coconut
15g coconut oil, soft
(For the filling)
120g strawberry jam
200-250g coconut yoghurt
6-8 strawberries, sliced
2 tbsp flaked coconut
½ passion fruit
1. Grease 4-5 mini tart tins with coconut oil (loose-bottom tins are best) and line a couple of pieces of parchment paper in a cross pattern to help lift out the tarts.
2. Soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes to soften and drain them.
3. Add the ground almonds, oats and desiccated coconut to a blender and process to a fine crumble. Now add the dates and coconut oil and blend to form a sticky mixture. It will hold together when pressed between your fingers.
4. Divide the mixture between the tart tins and press down firmly along the bottom and sides to form the tart cases. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to set or in the freezer to really firm up.
5. Carefully remove the tart cases from the tins, top with the strawberry jam and coconut yoghurt. Decorate with the sliced strawberries, flaked coconut and passion fruit. Best eaten straight from the fridge.