15th January 2018
To celebrate the launch of the highly-anticipated Peter Rabbit™ movie, at cinemas 16th March, we’ve teamed up with our friends at Honeywell Bakes to create some Peter Rabbit™ movie inspired biscuits, perfect for when you’re hosting a Peter Rabbit themed party for your little ones or even as an early Easter treat for family and friends. What better way to join in all the Peter Rabbit fun than with this beautiful biscuit recipe that you can enjoy with your family and friends or with a cup of tea and a book?
Preheat oven to 175C
1. Mix both flours and the sugar together, then rub in the butter until breadcrumb consistency is achieved.
2. Add syrup, egg and vanilla essence and combine until the dough comes together.
3. Roll out the dough and cut out vegetable and oval shapes. Re-roll and cut shapes until all the dough is used.
4. Place on a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
5. Allow to cool
6. Roll out white icing, then cut shapes to match your biscuits. Brush your biscuits with a little water, which will ensure the icing sticks to the biscuit.
7. Carefully add the icing to the top of the biscuits.
Now for the fun part – paint your biscuits using food colours!
Our Top 6 Edible Painting Tips:
1. Always begin with lighter colours and build up, finishing with dark colours last.
2. Add water to the food colours in the palette, but only a little. The lighter you want the colour, the more water you should add.
3. Dry your brush on a kitchen towel to take off some of the excess water before painting on the biscuit.
4. Allow layers of paint to dry before moving to a new colour.
5. Practice makes perfect! Get a feel for the paint on some excess icing, we often roll and cut the shapes out of icing and practice on that before paint on a biscuit.
6. Allow to dry for several hours before serving. The biscuits will keep for a month in an airtight container.
How to create: Peter Rabbit
1. Beginning with a light chestnut brown, paint the outline of the rabbit.
2. Fill in with chestnut brown, leaving the inside of the ears white for now.
3. Paint the inside of the ears with a pale dusky pink.
4. Paint the eyes using chestnut brown, and outline with liquorice.
5. Next, paint the blue coat, starting off with a pale blue and adding darker blue to achieve depth.
4. Lastly, using a little dark brown on a fine paintbrush, add some fur details to Peter, and using liquorice (black), add whiskers and nose details.
How to create: The Carrots
1. Using tangerine orange, paint a light orange on the carrot ‘body’.
2. Next add a light mint green leaves.
3. Use a more concentrated tangerine orange to add darker areas to the carrots, and then do the same to the leaves using apple green.
4. Lastly, add line detail to the carrots with chestnut brown.
How to create: The Radishes
1. Paint the radish with a light ruby red, leaving a highlight area very pale pink.
2. Add leaves using mint green.
3. Go back over the radish, adding a darker ruby red to give depth. Leave the highlight pale pink.
Impress your guests by serving at a Peter Rabbit themed party or even as an early Easter treat!
We’d love to see your creations – share them on Instagram and tag us or ask us questions at @honeywellbakes.