There’s something so comforting about the taste, smell and texture of hot cross buns, especially when enjoyed with a much-loved brew. These lightly spiced buns are studded with raisins and topped with a sweet cross of icing. Is your mouth watering yet? Here’s the recipe…
500g strong bread flour
75g granulated sugar
1 tbsp fast acting yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
300ml milk, warmed
50g unsalted butter, melted
75g plain flour (for the cross)
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon, mixed spice.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm milk, melted butter, and the egg.
3. Make a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon until you have a sticky dough.
4. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Add the sultanas and knead for another minute.
5. Place the dough into to a greased bowl and cover with cling film. Let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7
7. Divide it into 12 equal pieces and place them on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
8. Cover with a clean towel and let the dough rise for another 30 minutes.
9. Mix the plain flour with 5tbsp water to form a paste. Spoon it into a piping bag and pipe crosses onto each bun.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
June Bingham09.04.2023 at 22:58
I love hot cross buns . Thank you so much for your recipe I look forward to making these with my my adorable little nieces.