We just love this time of the year. As the evenings start stretching out later and later, we’re constantly planning our next barbecue.
Vegetarian options will always be a crowd-pleaser when gathering family and friends for a barbecue. Ideal for both meat-free guests and those simply looking for a slightly lighter option, this is a great opportunity for you to experiment with new flavours and have some fun. Here’s some inspiration to get you started.
1 large courgette
1 x 225g pack of vegetarian halloumi
Juice 1/2 lime
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
Handful of coriander, roughly chopped
Garlic mayonnaise (optional as a dip)
1. Using a peeler, cut long ribbons of courgette and lay them out on a chopping board.
2. Slice the halloumi widthways and cut each slice in half. Add them to a small bowl, along with the lime, chilli and coriander, and season with black pepper. Mix well.
3. Take one slice of halloumi, place at the top of a courgette slice and wrap. Secure with a toothpick. Continue until all the halloumi has been used up. You can make these 3–4 hours before grilling and keep in the fridge until you are ready to barbecue.
4. Place on the barbecue and cook for 2–3 mins on each side.
6 metal skewers
2 corn on the cobs, each cut into 6 slices
1 courgette, sliced
6–8 mini peppers, each cut into rings
1 large red onion, cut into segments
1 lime, cut into wedges
For the dressing:
Juice of ½ lime
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
Small handful chopped coriander
1. Distribute and load up the veg between the skewers, with a lime wedge to finish on each.
2. Put all the ingredients for the dressing into a jam jar and shake to
3. Brush the skewers with a little dressing before cooking. Place them on the barbecue, turn every 3–5 mins, and keep brushing with the remaining dressing until the vegetables are cooked through.